Legal Business Development Manager Litigation
Washington, District of Columbia US
Summary Strategic, results-oriented role focused on the support of the firm s internationally recognized Litigation practices, including more than 700 lawyers across the globe. This candidate will report to the firm s Assistant Director for Business Development for Litigation and Investigations, and will work closely with other Business Development and Marketing team members, including two Litigation Business Development Specialists. Responsibilities include developing and executing intentional business development, marketing, and external communications programs for Commercial Litigation, Class Actions, Product Liability, Product Safety, and Insurance practices. Duties &
Responsibilities Practice Group & Individual Lawyer Planning
- Consult with practice group leadership to develop and coordinate strategic business development plans for assigned groups and individuals, including fiscal year plans, individual goal statements, and specific business development initiatives; manage the implementation and execution of these plans and initiatives, and measure outcomes.
- Lead on annual practice group budget development and manage approved budget on a monthly basis.
- Act as primary point of contact for practice group leadership and broader partnership.
- Attend regular practice group meetings with the Firm s Management Committee; coordinate preparation for meetings with Practice leadership, reporting on business development activities and progress against plans, analyzing monthly data output from Accounting on current workloads, new matters, lawyer activity.
- Direct practice group response process for RFP/pitch opportunities, including development of customized, client specific pitch materials. Track opportunity origination and win/loss record.
- Actively manage and participate in related practice group meetings.
- Actively monitor relevant trade press and case filings to report on prospective client development leads to partners on a daily basis.
- Provide strategic business development advice to leadership and partners focused on the generation of new business leads, expansion of existing clients, and identification and pursuit of cross-selling opportunities, including conception of new projects and initiatives.
- Plan and support business development events, such as seminars, webinars, dinners, etc.
- Plan and support targeted marketing campaigns, comprising of digital content and messaging to support specific business development objectives i.E. Market penetration, industry expansion, cross-selling, etc.
- Lead integration of lateral attorneys within assigned practice groups.
- Counsel lawyers on personal business development goals, providing guidance and support for plan implementation.
- Provide existing client, prospective client, industry or other client development-related research, in coordination with dedicated Research team.
- Responsibility for select Relationship Manager program clients drafting fiscal year plans, and reporting on progress throughout the year.
- Manage practice submissions to Chambers, Legal 500, and other rankings, surveys, and award nominations.
- Work closely with Public Relations team to identify and leverage media opportunities.
- Identification of and research into potential profile-raising activities including sponsorships and speaking opportunities to make recommendations as to potential firm engagement in line with budget.
- Coordinate specialist tracking of practice experience and successes for use in practice materials, on the website, in pitches and proposals, practice descriptions and attorney biographies.
- Assist with the editing, layout, and production of firm and practice group marketing materials.
- Manage and coordinate the updating of website content, newsletters, brochures and other external communication pieces.
- Other responsibilities as assigned and required.
- Timely and regular attendance.
- Shared responsibility, with the Assistant Director and other Litigation BD Manager, for the training and development of Business Development Specialists, including, but not limited to:
- Pitch and proposal drafting
- Event planning and management
- Client Alerts drafting, proofing, and distribution
- Content management drafting and updating practice group content
- Client development activity tracking
- Provision of training to practice groups and individual lawyers on specific topics i.E. Best practices
- Bachelor s degree in marketing/communications or related field. MBA or JD a plus.
- Minimum of three years of experience in professional services marketing and business development. Demonstrated background of accomplishment in marketing and business development. Previous law firm experience is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written and oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and proactivity/initiative.
- High level of accountability on all work product and ability to effectively juggle multiple projects.
- Experience supervising a direct report a plus.
- Ability to provide consistent and high quality work product under tight deadlines and other pressures while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Experience and facility with information technology and software for marketing the practice group, including website, databases and knowledge management tools.
- Proficiency with Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required. InterAction, Adobe, and Publisher skills a plus.