eLearning, Instructional Design Senior Manager Diversity and Inclusion
Washington, DC US
Status: Exempt Reports To: Director of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
Department Summary: The Senior Manager of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Learning & Development is a key member of the firm's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Department and is primarily responsible for leading the scoping, vision, strategy, and execution of the firm's global DEI learning program and addressing unique development needs of the firm s historically excluded talent (HET). The Senior Manager will be a resource to the firm s lawyers and professional staff for DEI learning & development. This position will work closely with the Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer (CDEIO), DEI Co-chairs, DEI Director, Affinity Group leaders, as well as other key stakeholders including Legal Recruiting, Professional Development, Wellbeing, IT, and Human Resources.
- A Bachelor s degree in Education, Organizational Behavior, Instructional Design, or related field required.
- A Master s degree or Juris Doctorate strongly preferred;Active Bar Membership a plus.
- Coaching certification is a plus.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in learning and development in professional services required (with a strong preference for law firm experience);demonstrated knowledge of adult learning principles. Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates an iterative and coherent vision and strategy for DEI learning at the firm that considers the needs of different roles, teams, and groups of attorneys and professional staff, and adjusts for regional and geographic needs.
- Leads the scoping, development, and implementation of the firm's global short-term and long-term DEI learning, including, but not limited to education related to equity, belonging, inclusion, inclusive leadership, heritage celebrations, bias, intersectionality, racial justice, allyship, anti-hate, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- Develops a variety of learning modalities, including live and on demand, leveraging various methods to enhance outcomes.
- Delivers DEI learning programs internally and for client audiences;develops train-the-trainer programs to develop facilitation skills of others in the organization.
- Collaborates with Human Resources, Professional Development, Wellness, and the Office of the General Counsel and other internal partners to assess DEI learning & development in the context of the firm's broader learning & development offerings and goals.
- Maintains current knowledge of DEI learning & development trends and vendors, particularly in the legal industry. Manages request for proposal (RFP) process to engage learning & development vendors;works with selected vendors to tailor program delivery and content to meet the unique needs of the Firm.
- Determines timeline and prioritization of Firm s DEI learning & development needs.
- Proven experience designing and/or leading DEI learning programs.
- Experience in program development and evaluation;ability to collect, interpret and persuasively utilize data.
- Must possess advanced knowledge of current diversity, equity, and inclusion trends, theories, practices, and pedagogies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;superior presentation skills.
- Advanced organizational skills needed to manage time well, prioritize effectively, handle multiple deadlines and projects, and thrive in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Highly proficient in relevant firm software programs (e.G., Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) with particular strengths in Excel and PowerPoint, along with ability to learn new software and systems.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Experience leading, managing and developing direct reports and/or matrixed teams.
- Flexibility for occasional travel. Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates relevant and adaptive learning resources.
- Resource to Affinity Groups in locating educational content.
- Analyzes unique development needs of HET (lawyers that identify as women, racial/ethnic minority, LGBTQ+, disabled, and/or veterans), including but not limited to enhanced mentorship and coaching.
- Spearheads an iterative and coherent vision and strategy of development programs for HET through a combination of internal programs and identification of external opportunities. Coordinates with Professional Development and Affinity Group Manager to ensure strategic participation in identified programs.
- Establishes and maintains a method for evaluating DEI learning & development efforts. Gathers and assesses feedback from relevant stakeholders on the effectiveness of DEI learning & development opportunities;uses this feedback to shape offerings.
- Collaborates with other members of the DEI team to ensure a unified approach and execution on all aspects of program delivery including scheduling, invitations, and production.
- Creates and maintains DEI-related content in the firm s learning management system;collaborates with administrators of the system to track and make efficient the delivery of such content and processes on that platform.
- Contributes to client and industry survey responses regarding the firm s learning & development program;contributes to award submissions;and collaborates on other DEI communications as needed.
- Promotes an inclusive environment, employing effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers.
- Provides additional management and support to all aspects of the DEI Department as assigned.